Friday, January 11, 2008

A Tribute to Sir Edmund Hillary

This morning while reading my usual online news.... Sir Edmund Hillary had passed away.

For those who do not know who he is... he is one of the first 2 men who reached the summit of Mt Everest, the other person was his Sherpa partner the late Tenzing Norgay. Together, they reached the summit of Everest.

Through the years that follows, much controversies had arise about the climb. Camps from Nepal and England were arguing over who actually reached the summit first .. aka.. who was the FIRST man to reach Mt Everest. The 2 men kept their silence and now the truth has been brought to their graves. I am glad that they took this approach as both of them could not have done it alone. It was a team effort. THEY were the first to reach the summit of Everest.

I am very fortunate to have met this great man 4 years ago during a company trip where he was an invited speaker. We spoke only awhile during breakfast where most of the crowd had gone off. I guess I must be one of the million faces he had seen over the past years, but for me, it was truly memorable. Also, I was fortunate enough to meet Jamling Tenzing Norgay in the same trip. He is the son Tenzing Norgay and he followed his father's footstep and summit Mt Everest while making an IMAX movie...Power!!

Sir Hillary.... May you Rest in Eternal Peace....

Sir Hillary and me in NZ


Jamling Tenzing Norgay

No comments: